Saturday, April 11, 2015

Tarrant is making mistake leaving Bama

The senior is leaving a unique situation 


  

     Trust me, Ricky. You don’t want to be that guy. Nothing much surprises me in college basketball. When you announced you were transferring it caught me off guard. I’d read some rumors you might transfer. Rumors are always claiming someone is leaving or coming. Ricky, let me very politely tell you this – this is a mistake. I’m told you want to transfer to Texas Southern.  They seem like an affable bunch of kids. They have really good coach in Mike Davis. Someone said you wanted to play your last season with a friend from high school. That sounds like fun. Everyone would like to re-live their high school days from time to time. I assume you are finished with serious basketball. I remember you from high school because I watched you play a lot games.  When you didn’t sign with Alabama I wrote a very long letter to Coach Grant. I also him that I didn’t care that you have Trevor Releford, Levi Randolph, Trevor Lacey, or Earl the Pearl Monroe,  we needed to sign you.

       When you went down to Tulane I thought that you’d be the best player in that league. You probably were. Then you transferred to ‘Bama and I knew we had a two year point guard, and one we could be proud of.  And we were. Trust me, Ricky. You don’t want to be that guy.  You know who I am talking about don’t you? That’s the guy who leaves his teammates when they need a leader. Who is going to be that player – the one who shows the young players how to handle pressure, someone to look up to, and be the leader of his team?  You were going to be the guy who lit the rocket on a new era of Alabama basketball.  It’s not easy losing your coach. He is not coming back. Perhaps Grant may have a new job line up and you want to follow him. That shows loyalty at least. But perhaps their are much bigger lessons to be learned. 


      I think you need to seriously reconsider coming back.  Don’t you think that Avery Johnson can give you a great opportunity to get into the league? He’s going to play a race horse basketball. I remember that 9th grader who ran like a gazelle on the floor. He understood the game. He had court sense. You either are born with it or never get it. You got an extra dose of it. I remember that silly little grin on your face, the one that made your mama think you were up to no good. You had it at Alabama. You are possibly throwing away your basketball future. Instead, you will be forgotten and unloved by many for leaving. If you leave this bunch of players who stuck together like glue under the most difficult circumstances I’m going to very sad for you. Not upset you understand, but sad for you have one of those rare opportunities to separate yourself from your peers. You could have been the player who laid the foundation for something wonderful. Instead, you are choosing the road most traveled. You are making a mistake. You need to stay home. You have serious responsibilities at the Capstone. You are needed for your leadership, and not just your talent. If you want to take the easy way out you’ll have plenty of company. That is what everyday people do. You have a chance to the guy who stuck around and started something that people will remember forever. Good luck to you. I wish you nothing but the best. You’re leaving a place where you would be better than the best. 

     That is the guy you really want to be. Give it some thought.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment