Wednesday, April 1, 2015

NO WORD FROM MARSHALL ...

ANOTHER EPISODE IN DAYS OF OUR LIVES


    Day three of the Tuscaloosa hostage situation has arrived. No one has been physically harmed to date. The emotional burden has been extreme. Reports of people unable to leave their computers have become common place. The reality of the possibility that Gregg Marshall might turn down the University of Alabama has set in among the faithful.  

          It was disclosed early this morning that Athletic Director Bill Battle has contacted Coach Marshall and did request a decision today, but did not set a firm deadline. Let's interpret that for those of us who are not familiar with what that means. It's like asking your mother to "pretty please" let you know something. The next step is "pretty please with sugar on the top". It's really a move that children and desperate children use to implore when all other offers of cooperation have failed. In this case it would mean "Coach, we've given you everything we can, and more. There is nothing else we can do except throw ourselves at your feet and beg you give us what we want." 

          We all understand what it is like from time to time to have the best hand at the poker table. Most of us understand that next deal you may have the second best, and how horrible that is. I remember once when I was a kid my cousin had an extra Hostess Twinkie. I begged, cried, stomped my feet in a tantrum, and all he did was smile. I got so mad I finally got a quarter out of my money box and walked to the store and bought a package for myself. Sooner or later all the pretty please attempts give way to the reality that nothing is going to work, and you better move on. 

          I'm not saying that Alabama should leave Gregg Marshall and move on quite yet. I do think that I'd start to carefully review what my next option is. The truth is that it is highly unlikely that Alabama can find another coaching candidate to measure up to the fan's expectations at this point. It's also very likely that there is no coach out there who is better than Marshall. Say what you will about the Marshall situation but it shows me that Alabama is serious about elevating the sport of basketball. The only problem is that the Tide may not be able to find a coach who can operate the elevator. 

        I said we should give it 72 hours. That means 72 hours from the moment that Bill Battle and Gregg Marshall finished their meeting in Wichita. I also speculated that a late Friday press conference would be advantageous for Marshall if he leaves. Weekends have a way of putting problems into a different perspective. If you are the winner you have a weekend to celebrate. If you are the loser, you have a weekend to lament. I'm sticking by that time frame. I suspect that Alabama will call Marshall again sometime today and ask him to make a decision. The anticipation of his acceptance is being marginalized by a growing belief he is waiting for something else. Something else that doesn't have a thing to do with Alabama except to market Alabama's offer to other suitors. There is not a thing in the world that is wrong with that in a capitalist market. After all, the phrase "it's not personal, it's just business", is an American mantra in business. At what point does the waiting turn into anger is up to the individual.

       It would be dishonest if I didn't say that after 72 hours my belief that Marshall is coming wouldn't have to be reconsidered. I think we should at least have some indication one way or the other. Marshall hasn't interviewed with anyone else to my knowledge. That means he's all in or all out in the Alabama offer. I don't know Gregg Marshall. I do know that according to sportswriters he has a personality a lot like Nick Saban. If that's the case it would seem he would let Battle know the answer is yes or no as soon has he makes the decision.  
      
        Personally, I do not know enough about Wichita to compare it to Tuscaloosa. I have no idea if his family would want to leave their home, though my gut tells me they don't because that's their home. I know that 4 million dollars will buy a lot in Kansas or Alabama. I do know that the state tax in Alabama is more than Kansas. I don't see a decision being reached on that basis alone. Is there anything else Alabama can do?  I'd buy the family a house. A big nice house they could envision as home. If you are in for a penny you're in for a pound as the old saying goes. Do whatever it takes to get Gregg Marshall to come to Alabama but I'm not sure we have a realistic second alternative. For Marshall to turn down the substantial offer will be a real blow to the pride of the Crimson Tide. It should be. This is what happens when you sit around and withhold support from your basketball program for two decades. The beloved name Alabama isn't going to score a single basket.The SEC doesn't stir the heart of anyone else in the nation unless we are playing football. This might be the real wake up call Alabama has needed to see the light. 







No comments:

Post a Comment