Thursday, February 19, 2015

Grant has a chance to save his job... 
Anthony Grant gets ready for Georgia


     I agree with Cecil Hurt, sportswriter for the Tuscaloosa News,  one win doesn't fix the Alabama basketball program. Everyone surely agrees with this. I think because of the relationship Mr. Hurt enjoys with the University of Alabama he is likely given information most of us can't secure. I'm not calling Cecil "deep throat" but when he starts writing about the future of Alabama basketball we all need to listen carefully. If something happened that caused the Tide to make the NCAA there is no way he'd be fired. What if Grant's team won the NIT? What happens then? What happens if the Tide wins more than 20 games. This drama isn't over by a long shot. 

      Alabama basketball fans are not few and far between, but it is a pretty tight bunch of people who know one another in one way or the other. I think it's safe to say that many of these people have had enough of Coach Grant; but I also think that his fiery attitude in the Auburn earned him a few points. Grant's record against Auburn is now 9-3 if memory serves me. Fans just can't ignore his record against the Tigers. I can't ignore that fact. First and foremost it is important that you dominate your in state rival because you can use it for in state recruiting. The things that give me grief about Grant are mainly not coaching things. Truthfully, things get pretty confusing to me when it regards Grant. What I don't want to happen is the drip-drip-drip of a program declining. Now, with a highly charged emotional win over rival Auburn, the Tide has a chance to show the world they can beat a good Georgia team. Grant has a chance to turn things around. One other thing I know is that a lot of the naysayers are hardly die hard fans.


    What I want most of all is to get this Grant's future saga ended one way or the other. I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Grant is finished at Alabama. We are better this season. That cannot be denied. I have to admit watching Tide players rally around their coach is compelling. Watching the chant and celebrate of Tide players as they hugged the Coach was pretty warm and fuzzy. Most of all the actions tell us a lot how the players feel about the coaching they are receiving. If Grant could keep up the vehemence he showed in the Auburn game, and the same great coaching in that game, we can all feel better. I think we should kick back and enjoy a great win. I've watched the game three times.  I see more and more that's good with each viewing. Georgia is a far better team than Auburn, and they will come into to Coleman Coliseum knowing another loss would be fatal to their dwindling NCAA hopes. How good is Georgia? They are much, much better than Auburn. The Tide will have their hands full this weekend. But the game itself is a  stepping stone for the Tide. That means it means the same for Coach Grant. I've flip flopped many times about Grant. Here is one thing I truly believe - at the end of this season the soap opera that has captured so much attention will be over one way or the other. I'm willing to open minded about the remainder of the season. I told Battle the same thing in a letter today. I've been told that Battle also understands the gap between facilities with Auburn in hoops. We are losing that war every year Coleman remains our home court. 

   I've said before that I've had enough of Grant. I think it is better to clarify exactly what was said. I've had enough of the Grecian Tragedy that his six years have brought us. Everyone is worthy of redemption, but the window is closing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment