Monday, December 31, 2012

Last look at the Tulane game

tide has some real problems going into the SEC
offense is almost an embarrassment

      We are about to find out just how good a coach Anthony Grant really is. I'm not talking about wins and loses. A few more wins would be great. I'd just don't see them coming. Our offense is a joke. It is a bad joke but a joke just the same.Grant has just become the Captain of the Titanic. Alabama fans will not react very well to a losing season. I know they don't react well to blowing leads. I think most real basketball fans understand where we are and what it is going to take to get better. Like most of you, I am stunned at the rapid implosion of this team. I've seen thousands of basketball games, and teams do literally fall apart. Coaches don't lose teams generally. The players like and respect Grant. If anything I suspect they are embarrassed at how they are playing, and the heat Grant is now getting.

      I think we should brace ourselves for some very lopsided losses on the road. I'm talking about Mark Gottfried numbers. There is no more down for this team. Grant has been given a golden opportunity to prove he can coach. If he can coach up this team I'd be surprised, but impressed if it happens. You've often seen me write about chemistry and what it means in basketball. It is everything in basketball. It is more important than great players in most cases. Look at Mercer. No great players on that team, but boy do they play as a unit. We are a young team and chemistry takes a while. But these guys have played enough this season and last to be a lot more cohesive. For Alabama to win they have to do everything well. They can't stand around and watch someone save a ball that appears on its way out of bounds turn into a non-contested lay-up. Releford just stood there like a rock while Tulane scored a great hustle basket. It might not seem like much but when you get beat by three it hurts. Stupid turnovers, and there have been so many stupid turnovers you can't count them, and make at least 10 a game. I'm not talking about your hustle turnovers. I'm talking about stepping out of bounds, lazy passes, and allowing balls to be stolen. We simply cannot do that.

      We can't afford to miss free throws. We can't always run the clock to zero and then take a bad shot. This team can't be lackadaisical. At times they seem almost dazed and confused to steal a movie title. We make so many mental errors it is sickening. Case in point - you can't throw a skip pass across the floor against any decent team. How many times have you seen a player fire a pass across the court and hit the backboard. That is lack of foresight. High School teams don't throw skip passes cross court. They never work. So what was  Rodney Cooper thinking? He's not thinking. He's lost in some pick up game down at Foster. The good thing for Bama is that almost all these problems can be fixed. We can't fix injuries, we can't help a short bench, and the fact our big men aren't that big.

      We can fix bad passes, most stupid turnovers, and our lack of agression on offense. I'm always ready to give a coach a bad season.That happens. What I want to see improvement. I want to see smart basketball. I want to see bodies flying after balls on the floor.  I don't want to see Coach Grant fired. That isn't going to happen anyway. He has my full support. I also believe in his ability to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment