Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Charles Cleveland dies at age 61

the best athlete ever to play at bama
charles cleveland was one of a kind

       Three time All-SEC legend, Charles Cleveland, has passed away at 61 years of age.  In the early 1970's Alabama basketball ascended to the top of SEC basketball. A lot of that was due to Charles Cleveland. I have been attending Alabama basketball games since the Rocket Eight. Charles Cleveland was the best athlete I've ever seen.  You have to understand that when Charles Cleveland came to Alabama no one had ever seen anyone like him. He was 6-5 and weighed 215 lbs. of solid muscle. As an Alabama freshmen Charles could not play varisty basketball.  I was a graduate student at Alabama during this time and often played with Charles and his fellow freshmen. The freshmen could beat our varsity everytime they scrimmaged. I never heard anyone say exactly how high he could jump. I'd guess he had a 40 inch verticle. He was so strong you couldn't move him. He was so quick it was unreal. His whole body was quick, not just his hands and feet. He could jump higher from a standing start higher than anyone I've ever seen.
 
           He is one of the best basketball players to ever play at Alabama and in the SEC as well. He was a transitory player. He changed the way shooting guards played basketball in the NCAA. His three years as a starter saw his teams win 66 games. If teams in that era played 30 games per year as they do now that number would be closer to 80. Charles was from just up the road at Brent. The old joke about Charles was when he hit the Tuscaloosa  City Limits, he took his first shot and didn't stop until he graduated. I know how hard it is hard for young Alabama fans to understand about players from three decades ago. If Charles Cleveland walked on the floor today he would be the best player on Alabama's team and second place wouldn't be close.
 
         I've reached the age where I'm attending far too many funerals. Tomorrow Charles will go home to God. If there is any justice, heaven will take Charles in as a 21 year old. He could light up a room like he lit up the scoreboard. Tomorrow his funeral will be a who's who in Alabama basketball. The Church could fill up the first two rows with All-SEC and All-American players and great coaches.
 
        I'm not the least be embarrassed to say that when I heard the news of his death I pulled my car over on the side of the road and cried. In my mind I could see this amazing young man with so many skills they could not be fully defined. There has never been a better all around athlete at Alabama in any sport. Just for fun he pitched a one-hitter for the baseball team. If he had taken track seriously he would have been one of the greatest decathletes ever.  He is one of the top 10 players to play at the Capstone. If Charles played today he would still be our best player on the floor. It wouldn't be close. How good was he? Let's put it this way. If he played against Tulane we would have an inside game because of his power and jumping ability. He will be greatly missed. Thank you for the wonderful memories, the pick up games, and great times. I'll always have the instant replay in my mind of watching this kid from the country playing basketball like his feet were on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment