Thursday, March 12, 2015

Tide gets bumped by Florida 69-61
Missed call on block stops momentum
Alabama's shooting doomed the Tide
Grant's future up in the air?


   
Tide comes up short
but plays hard
  
The other day I wrote that officiating is the most important thing that happens in a game. Ask Rodney Cooper who clearly got fouled on a basket. It was as bad a call as I’ve ever seen in a big moment. The Tide could have cut the Florida lead to four, set up their press, and put some pressure on Florida. The Gators would have gone from 11 up to only 4 up in the blink of the eye. The call stopped all that. Now we wait to see if the NIT comes calling and whether Grant stays or goes. The howl for him to leave has reached an epic level. About the only thing that I haven't read is off with his head. I respect the opinion of the fans, but not necessarily how they express their displeasure. Many of these fans are acting immature and foolish. But as George Bush pointed out "when I was young and foolish I did young and foolish things".  But those remarks aren't the only ones being heard, and frankly most of us know their rhetoric falls on deaf ears. There are two levels of Alabama fans. Most of us, and then the rich and famous.

       
Randolph can't pull rabbit out of the hat
in this one
  These rich fans talk among themselves about what happened before Grant arrived. Two coaches got fired for breaking some ill-defined moral clause. At least that is part of the reason. One coach was so popular he reached iconic stature. The other was a much loved son of the Bama nation. Neither firing made all the fans happy. I wasn't upset about Mark. I cried when Wimp was fired. Wimp[s firing almost started a riot among basketball fans. Never get too popular in Alabama when you are a basketball coach. The other appeared to have lost his zest, and according to some felt he was entitled to remain as coach. I always found those firings kind of ironic because many people believed we had a football coach who did the same thing. That coach ultimately got fired for losing.


       Grant has run a clean program. There has never been a hint of any cheating or other improprieties. Here’s one thing that I think is true in basketball. You can run a clean program and be a little above average. You can cheat and win national championships. I find all the talk about what a great coach John Calipari is at Kentucky kind of funny. I think a lot of coaches would win with the talent he gets. Does he cheat? Only he, God, and NCAA knows. I have my personal opinion based upon things that happened at UMASS with Marcus Camby, and Derrick Rose at Memphis. He may be as pure as the driven snow. All I know is that he seems to leave a trail of ill will and bodies wherever he has coached. He gave $232,000.00 dollars back to Memphis after the school was sued by fans for the conduct surrounding eligibility in the 07-08 season. The biggest cheater in college basketball had to be Jim Calhoun. Jim Beoheim just got nailed All coaches are likely cheat a little. You know the old say, “steal little steal big? Even the great John Wooden found himself under intense scrutiny because of the actions of a booster. Wooden was never proven to have done anything. I think maybe he looked the other way and chose not see. We will never know. Bruce Pearl cheated. He’s what I call a dumb cheater. If you are going to cheat go ahead and go “all in” as Tiger fans like to say. Lying about having a backyard BBQ is just plain stupid. He should have admitted to it, and told how good the hog meat was. Take a slap on the wrist and move on.


 
Bama's backcourt is in good shape for next year
     In America we talk a lot about family values, and respect for authority. I don’t see a lot of family values in a lot of our politicians. I hear a lot of lip service in election times and a lot of stealing after elections. So now we find ourselves at a crossroad of an odd junction involving winning vs. honesty.  Do we really want an honest coach? I think what most of us want to do is say we have an honest coach even when they cheat. What we probably mean is “it’s okay to cheat, but not okay to get caught.” Maybe there is someone out there can be honest and win big. No one comes to mind. I do know a lot of coaches who haven’t been caught and continue to espouse virtues of their program. Alabama has a fine man who is not a cheater as head coach. Why do we know he doesn’t cheat? First, his character is impeccable. Second, he clearly hasn’t purchased any big time players even if he needed a couple.

 
These were the injuries that hurt
     Today, Alabama lost a close game to Florida 69-61 with an honest coach and honest players. I don’t know exactly how you factor that in as an AD. I do know we would have never hired Bruce Pearl. That was never a conversation. Do I want Grant to stay? It’s a yes and no kind of answer. I want the man who coached at VCU and retains his values. I don’t even know how start a conversation about how Grant might do if he cheated? He just will not do it. He needs to win more, he needs to polish up his people skills. Those are clearly needed. And he needs to recruit like the devil is about to catch him. Two men I greatly respect have recommended he stays. That would fine with me. I’ll take a few more losses for being honest. If Coach Grant is fired, I’d be a little sad, but would get over it quickly. It all depends on how you look at the man. In most ways he’s the biggest winner to ever coach at Alabama. He isn’t pious. He isn’t preachy at all. He is exactly who is says he is. I’m proud to have him as my coach whether he stays or goes. I’m old enough to be his father. I have two wonderful daughters. I’d have been proud to have Anthony Grant as my son.


If you want to post an article on the Grant decision send it to Bamamidcourt@gmail.com. I'd love to see a well written opposing view, and remember, spelling doesn't count on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment