Sunday, March 15, 2015

GRANT FIRED  !!!!


     So much for impeccable sources. Bill Battle has fired Anthony Grant. As all of you know I had hoped that he got another season. But let me say this - I understand the rationale and the reasons. I feel very sorry for the Grant family, but I'm sure Grant would want all the Tide fans to reunite, and all move forward. If my AD says he's gone I will fully support him in that decision. I'm sure Anthony will express his regrets. He is one of the best men I've ever known. He'll take that with him where ever he goes. I appreciate the manner in which he ran his program. 

      I'm going to very interested in how this all came about. Today at 10:00 AM someone who works for the Athletic Department called and told me that Grant was told he was coming back. Whatever happened after that will be the center of much speculation in the coming weeks. I can't wait to find out. When I got my call  this morning I asked if the source was he sure? That person told me it was a done deal. I have no doubt whatever occurred must have happened after that. I told my source that one thing troubled me. I have been unable to get in touch with Alabama Men's basketball for a couple of days. That should have told  me all I needed to know. 

Now is the time for all of us to stand together as a fan base, wish Coach Grant the best, and let our new head coach know we are behind him. I've already sent Bill Battle an email saying the same thing and a told him that it must have been a tough decision. I have fired people before. It isn't an easy thing to do. 

Now I can stand united with all my basketball brothers and look forward to the next era in Tide basketball. I once sent a letter to Gottfried explaining why I was doing what was necessary in my opinion. I told him that loved him in a lot of ways but I love Alabama even more. I'll let you guys know something else - the experience with Gottfried's departure still makes me sick to my stomach. It is something that bothers me even today. I don't know who was more joyous when he got the NCState job. It relieved a lot of anxiety. The reason I want to tell all of you this is to let you know that my first loyalty will always be Mother Alabama. That comes first. Any role I play regarding the Tide always follows that recognition. I know most of you are happy, and I'm happy for you. It has been a tough time. Earlier this year I said I'd had enough of Coach Grant. Anyone can justify the reason why he needed to go. I suspect that Grant offered his resignation and Battle knew he should fire him so his severance remained intact. That's the kind of guy Anthony Grant has been, and the same for Coach Battle. Roll Tide and let's roll up our sleeves and start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment