Thursday, February 27, 2014

And the beat goes on

Miserable first half dooms Tide...

   
I didn't think that Levi Randolph would score 33 points. I didn't believe that Alabama would even win the Ole Miss game on the road. I did think we might play a  good  game against the Rebels. The only way I can think to describe the first half of last nights game is laughable. We played so bad you continued watching just to see how bad it would be. It's kind of like going to a car race to see the wrecks and not the watch the winner. This season is over. The only things worth watching falls into three categories in my opinion. A - let's honor Trevor Releford by showing up and acknowledging his great play over his Alabama career. B - Let's see if Shannon Hale, Jimmy Taylor, and Algie Key can continue to improve. C. Hang around so we see whether or not Coach Grant deserves another season. Please note I didn't say he should or should not be back. I just want to watch what happens until the bitter end. Then we can say how we feel, and all of us have the right to tell the AD how we feel.

    Shannon Hale has been playing better and better. Last night he exploded for 27. He even made 10-11 free throw, knocked down a couple of threes and got some rebounds. He also played like a man possessed. It's almost like he's saying that we might not have a good season but he wants Tide fans to see how much he cares. If Alabama is a  to have a good season next year it appears that a lot of the burden may fall on Hale's improvement. Levi Randolph played a solid game even though he didn't score as much. Trevor Releford got 16 on a bum leg which was (and is) clearly hurting. He got 14 of those points when Alabama tried to make a comeback. They got it to 6 but ran out of cutring into that big Ole Miss lead. I think that is says a lot about the work  ethic of this team that they continued to try.

      The Tide started well. Things went south when Jimmy Taylor  got his second foul early on and had to sit on the bench. That's when things got really out of hand. Everyone chipped in to allow the Rebels to go run and hide. Alabama simply can't rebound on the defensive end of the floor. The Tide is the worst rebounding team I've ever seen. It seems like its 50/50 at best that the Crimson would get a missed shot. I know that Ole Miss got of good bounces off missed shots. They also got a lot of shots when Alabama was simply overwhelmed in the paint. The Tide did a good job on Henderson. This time he only got 13 but every other Ole Miss guard played like an All-American. The Tide couldn't defend any one who drove the ball to the basket. How Alabama's veteran players have lost a part of their defensive play is puzzling. Releford was limited. That hurt on both ends. But the other players? There is simply no way to understand that and no excuse to let it happen. I bet the Tide defenders could tell you the names of every Ole Miss players. After all, they were looking at their backs all night long.

    This is a problem  that we can't totally blame on Grant. He is clearly frustrated and just can seem to connect the dots. I'm not sure anyone could. Grant recruited these players. So ultimately it all falls on him. I think you'd have to say that Taylor, Hale, and Releford were good recruits. I think Levi Randolph over his career as been pretty good. I have no idea what has happened to Rodney Cooper. He is still trying. It just isn't working out for him. Before the game started if you told me that Hale would  have 27 I'd say we might have won. Great game from the freshman and the senior but where did everyone else go? 


     Now we get ready for the most important game in the career of Anthony Grant. It's Auburn.  Releford is unlikely going to be at full speed. It's likely not to be a sell out and I'd bet my last dollar a lot of Barn fans are going show up.  The Tide has played much better at home and that should help. I know that Grant is going to get another year if my source is correct. He usually is dead on. If Auburn beats Alabama in Coleman the howl will begin. Grant might see a lot of his supporters fade away. Only Battles vote matters. But a lot of disgruntled fans can certainly make it easier to remove Grant if next year is marginal. I like Grant but don't like what I've been seeing. No one does. Even Wimp had a bad year. His points were hurt. Playing basketball without a point guard is like playing football  without a quarterback. While I admire the Tide's comeback in the second half, I almost wished that Grant let Releford sit out that half so he might heal before AU game. Releford isn't that type guy. These guys  may not be very good but it would be very unfair to say that haven't given 100%.



No comments:

Post a Comment