Wednesday, January 30, 2013

what is wrong with pollard?
major disappointment for the Tide...
    It would be easy just to say he is a freshman. That accounts for some of play so far. The age of freshman not producing is over. Kentucky has laid to rest the old adage which says the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Pollard was recruited by virtually all the big basketball schools in America. It was a big deal for Anthony Grant and Alabama to land the young man.  Here was a nationally prominent recruit who picked Alabama over other schools.  He had five stars beside his name. He was supposed to be an impact player.  People claimed he was one and done. I didn't. I don't even think he's a two and I'm through type. This is a hard one to figure out.  This kid was a McDonald's All-American. He probably won't make the SEC All-Freshman team at the rate he is going. Sad.

      I watched Pollard in early practices and he  looked like he was going to be a star. He had a lot of rough around the edges but the talent was there. He earned a starting spot. He walked out onto the floor at Coleman to the roar of the crowd and he has been a major disappointment ever since.  For whatever reason the light hasn't gone off in his head. He seems mired in a puddle of mediocrity. He hasn't had a break out game. He really hasn't had an even good game a good game for a five star recruit. Here's what I mean. You remember when Cooper went down to LSU and took over the game as a freshman? I thought before the season started we might get 10 ppg out of him and maybe 6 boards. It hasn't happened.  The only thing consistent about DP is his inconsistency.

     He needs to wander into the weight room this summer for some serious work. He needs to gain 25 pounds. He needs bulk and muscle. No one takes him seriously inside on either end of the floor. And he needs a big game in the near future to help him mentally. He was a top 10 type player in high school who just hasn't lived up to his potential If he doesn't get better pretty quick this team might not go the NIT. I'll you the truth - it makes me very nervous to watch him on the floor. I keep thinking what exactly is he bringing to the team, and right now I'd say another warm body It isn't my intent to knock this kid. He could end up have on a high note. If that happens the Tide could finish up and have some momentum for the post season  He could be an entirely different player next season with a better body. This year? Don't expect it to happen and I hope I'm dead wrong. What do I expect from a true five star player like Pollard?  Remember Trent Richardson his freshman year against Arkansas? A few games like that should be expected. I do recognize that having weak players in the post hurts him some. That's not his fault. I just wonder where that player I saw in high school is right now. He could run the floor like a gazelle. He could take the ball off the glass and dribble the length of the floor and slam it. He was the fast break.

His numbers:
1 steal per game
3.1 boards a game
1.9 turnovers per game

21 minutes per game.

I've gotten lots of emails about this article. One thing you can count on from Alabama "fans" is you always make someone mad. When I write a glowing article on a player I get called a homer. When I write an objective article I get called a hack. LOL. I would like you hacksters to note I said nothing about DP as a person. What I write are my observations. Are you telling me that any of you are not disappointed with his play thus far?  Maybe I expect more from five star recruit than you guys do. I don't expect him to dominate. I do expect him to have a real impact. Every five star player in the world is rated to have an impact. When someone doesn't its more than fair to wonder why. Devonta is a public figure. The citizens of Alabama pay for his education. I bet no one out there likes this player more than me. I bet Devonta is not satisfied with his play so far. I'm not criticising the man just how he playing right now.  Hopefully he will have a great game soon. Getting one great game means he can have a lot of great games. I'm pulling for him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment