Sunday, March 11, 2012

Which teams deserve the # 1 Seeds... It's wide open

So who gets the number one seeds?
Kentucky is the #1 number One seed
but they showed other teams they have weaknesses


     For my money I'd take North Carolina, Kentucky, Syracuse, Kansas, or Michigan State. Two teams, Kentucky and Syracuse seems to have separated themselves from the pack of #1 seeds. You can make arguments for several teams who might land the last two spots. North Carolina is going to end up a #1 if they win the ACC Tournament today.  If the TarHeels lose today I think it would be a matter of whether the Selection Committee had already made a decision. Duke might slip into the TarHeel slot. 


     Despite the fact the national media is acting like a moonstruck teenager in love with Kentucky, I believe this is the most wide open NCAA field we have had in a long time. Until I watched several Kentucky games and saw them play in person on two occasions, I thought they couldn't be touched. They were prohibited favorites in my mind. Alabama and LSU showed the rest of the NCAA the plan to beat the Wildcats. The Wildcats showed some problems. Here's how I think someone will beat the SEC big boy:

  • Take the battle to the Big Blue inside and intimidate them. And surprisingly you can intimidate them.
  • Try to get at least one of their starters in foul trouble. A senior with a lot of experience will know how to do that. The question is - will the officials let Kentucky's Anthony Davis get into foul trouble or will they once again turn a blind eye? The other player I'd try to get into foul trouble would be Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. He's shown a tendency to foul earlier in the season. Marquis Teague is another whose loss would hurt the Wildcats
  • Shoot well and defend the three. Alabama and LSU both showed the other teams in the NCAA that Kentucky can get rattled. I think that to beat Kentucky you do it early, and then have to poise to hang on when the fire back.
  • Ultimately, I think a team so young is going to have one of those nights when things go wrong, the refs blow the whistles, and experience will neutralize Kentucky's talent.
  Of the teams I've picked as number one seeds I believe that Michigan State has the experience, leadership, coaching, and floor balance to beat anyone on a given night. There are other teams such as Ohio State that would give any of the number one seeds a run for their money. Syracuse got soundly beaten in the Big East Tournament. Carolina has an injury that they will not disclose the seriousness of to the media. This could be one year where someone like St. Mary's or UNLV make a serious run. Give me two weeks of excellent shooting and you have a team who can win the NCAA. I'd take the field against the any of the number one seeds. 


   Let's hope the Tide gets to play somewhere close by so we can have a good number of fans who can drive to the game. I still want that shot at Kentucky again. I know that the NCAA would like to put Alabama in the South or the East. Let's hope they do. Roll Tide Roll




Update: Lunardi now has Bama playing Gonzaga in the 9/8 bracket in Greensboro. Winner to play UNC
  

No comments:

Post a Comment