Wednesday, March 14, 2012

No one likes the Tide Thursday...

TIDE GETS NO RESPECT FROM EXPERT PICKERS...

     and I love it.  We should all love that fact. The only thing being better than being an underdog in a big game is being a very talented underdog in a big game.  I found 21 sites on the Web where 'experts' picked the winners. This was total of 83 individuals and Dick Vitale who falls into a somewhat un-classified species of hominoid.  Only 12 of those individuals picked Alabama to win. One fine sports expert from somewhere in Idaho (is that in the United States?) picked the Jays to beat us by 18 points. I emailed him. Told him I would beat him $10,000.00 (sorry to a certain political candidate) that Creighton wouldn't beat the Tide by 18. No response. I called him. Left him a nice message asking him to clarify whether Idaho is really in the USA, and repeated my bet. No answer. I called his "assistant" and asked her to tell him what I said. She asked if all this was in good fn. I said, absolutely not, I really need this issue on Statehood clarified, but the bet was just fun. I haven't heard back from him yet. I am not holding my breath

    I've come to a couple of conclusions about our game. First, Creighton is really a 4 or 5 seed. Second, we are really better than a 9 but we can't argue much because of our record. One quick observation - if the Tide makes a few three point shots we beat the Jays. If we make a lot of threes we beat them like an Indian drum at Wounded Knee. From watching four Creighton games that they won, and one where they lost, a couple of things are clear - Alabama is a lot more athletic than the Jays, and Creighton sometimes has trouble with pressing defenses. It isn't like they turn the ball over  (they start two point guards) against the press, but it seems to upset their rhythm on offense.

    The Jays haven't played anyone like Alabama on defense. In the game that Wichita State beat the Jays you could tell that good athletes will give them trouble when they get up in their faces. One other thing that is clear - McDermott is the real deal.  He will get his points in the end, but I think our strong perimeter defense is going to cut down on the other players scoring chances. I wonder if Grant would pull the old Wimp Sanderson trick - give the All American his points and give anyone else unmitigated hades. Not a bad plan.
Regardless of who wins I promise you that the Jays will have had all they can handle when the game ends.


    One thing all fans need to keep in mind. This is poor little mid-major Creighton playing the most hated sports program in America (at this time). The announcers are going to have "I have my head up Creighton's butt" pins on their lapels. Just get ready. Our kids will be compared to a combination of the village idiots and Jack-the-Ripper.  Grant the ripper might be appropriate. I think Alabama is going to go out on floor on Thursday and defend like there is no more tomorrows. Win and Advance. That is all our team is thinking about right now. This is going to be a battle between two very good teams, two great coaches, two different styles, and without being too dramatic, class warfare between the rich and poor.  Creighton will be revered more than Hickory High School in "Hoosiers". Don't be surprised if Gene Hackman is on the bench.  The only thing that matters to this writer is that Anthony Grant be on the bench along with five Crimson jerseys on the floor. I expect the Tide to win in a tough game.

No comments:

Post a Comment