Friday, January 30, 2015

Part II - Who to hire if Battle makes a change...

 
Michigan Head Coach Jim Beilien
   
A couple of days ago I laid out some of the problems we might have in hiring a new coach if the AD makes that decision. It probably goes without saying, but it seems most fans have had enough of what is going on in basketball under Anthont Grant. I finally threw my hat in that ring. I did so reluctantly because I want Grant to succeed. Things don't look good for the program right now, and this weekend isn't likely make things better. If we play Kentucky within 15 in Lexington I'd be surprised. I'd be surprised if anyone played UK close in Lexington now that they have gotten better. Just to make things harder, Ricky Tarrant is sitting it out in Lexington.


         In Part One, I suggested what it would take for Alabama to make a quick impact in the NCAA, by hiring a big name coach. Someone asked me who'd I'd hire if the choice was mine. So, if I was king for a day I'd really make a pitch to Michigan head coach Jim Beilien. He won the Big Ten Championships in 2012 and 2014. He took a team to the Final Four. He's 61 which is the new 51, and has a good 10 years left to coach. Another name that intrigues me is Mark Few of Gonzaga. He isn't a well known coach east of the Mississippi because Gonzaga plays it games in PCT. I am particularly impressed with how he puts together his team. Gregg Marshall is a very familiar name to Tide fans because of our recent past with Wichita State. I seriously doubt we could ever get Beilien to leave Michigan. Few, who is a really big time coach who might consider going to the SEC as a step down. He certainly has built his own little kingdom in Spokane. Gregg Marshall is a really good coach. He seems to take very average players and turns them into outstanding teams. That might be really good for the Tide program. I like the approach that Few takes. He looks at the long term development of players and chooses people he thinks will stay four years. Beilien is just a flat out coach from the bench. Michigan is having a sub-standard year due to departures to the NBA and losing two good senior players. The Wolverines are now 13-8, and recently took Wisconsin to overtime, and are tied for second in their league. The last name is Shaka Smart. He might not be considered a big name coach to the public. To the coaching ranks he is big time Those are the big name coaches I'd like to look at Bama when the time comes. I don't think we could get them to Tuscaloosa. Rank them?

1. Few - might be best coach in the NCAA overall
2. Beilien - great recruiter and highly regarded by peers
3. Smart - here's a man who would excite Tide fans
4  Marshall - He is straight to the point guy

Gonzaga's Mark Few
My gut feeling is that Shaka Smart is the best fit because of the style of play his teams play. Just because he is at VCU is not factor in my mind. I'd be happy with any of those guys. Those are long shots. I think a lot of our fans are starting to understand the precarious situation our program is in. Add to the fact that basketball coaches tend to think their sport is the biggest sport on campus and that might make someone think twice about coming to a football school. To get a big name coach it will take $$$$ and a commitment from Battle to make basketball a serious priority. That means a new facility. I don't think Alabama will spend the money, Battle hasn't shown me (yet) and that basketball will ever be more than an afterthought. How many people in Alabama really care that basketball could be important?  A lot on the forum posters perhaps.  The only think worst than the pot shots forum posters take at one another,  is their total their lack of understanding about basketball as a sport. Someone reminded me the other day that research shows about 80% of all posters on blog sites are negative. I can sure see that. 


So if we can't get a big name coach, or we won't try, where do we go? That next logical step would be a current head coach who is doing well, but hasn't made it to big name status. The field is wide open on this one. There might be dozens of current coaches who would jump to Alabama if the money is right. Everyone can name their favorite choice, and I see a lot of people on TI do that. Most all of them are good choices. We'd have to pay them good money. I'm talking Grant type money. Throw in a five year contract to boot, and we'd get a perfectly acceptable coach. Then it's wait and see how that works. That is what we did in securing Anthony Grant. From references to past records, there was nothing that might make anyone doubt his chance at success. I know he has had some bad luck, but the number of transfers out of the program is disturbing. The inconsistent play have made fans leery of keeping him any longer. Talk to most, including me, and I get this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach thinking he might stay. Sources in the AD department tell me he's going to get another year regardless. You really knows?

Marshall has a Saban-like personality
If you look around the SEC you'll find that Grant isn't the only one from this category that is struggling. Who is doing well?  The answer to that is not many. We aren't in this boat alone. That's why getting the right coach is so important. A great coach might lift us from average to really good quickly. Quick cannot come to any Alabama fan fast enough. This season isn't over, but if we now win 20 I'd be surprised.  I thought we could win 20 a week or so ago, and then Auburn and Florida came to town. We were lucky to split. It alarmed me that Auburn ever got in a position where they might win. It really surprised me that Grant's team looked so unprepared that they got down 13 against Florida, particular considering the lackluster start with AU. 13 is a big number to come back against a team as sound as Florida is defensively. There are times when you keep a guy too long and you pay forever. That is my fear for the Tide. 

Part III and a report on the UK game this weekend. Part III lays out the ultimate gamble you might take.

The four listed above - Any of these guys would give us one of the top three coaches in the SEC in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment