Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The landscape just changed in Alabama...

Tide cannot ignore the Auburn hire...

  
   My, oh My. What a difference a day makes. The Alabama nation screamed for the removal of Anthony Grant. It didn't happen. It didn't happen to the chagrin of countless 'Bama fans. Now, Auburn has made a serious move to upgrade their basketball program with the hiring of Bruce Pearl.  You can say what you want about Bruce Pearl and his dishonesty.  You better also add the man is a hell of coach. He may cheat and he will most definitely lie. None of that makes any difference. Auburn pulled the trigger and made a masterful move to let the SEC and the NCAA know that the Tigers are serious about improving their basketball program. Ready or not here they come. It doesn't matter about your personal opinion of Pearl. The only thing that matters is that Auburn has a real coach who can turn the Alabama/Auburn rivalry on its ear.

       I know that the power people in Tuscaloosa never thought that Auburn could or would hire Bruce Pearl. I also know that Pearl let it be known that he would love to come to Alabama should Grant leave. In fairness to Pearl he did not lobby for the Alabama job. It was more of "if something happens" let me know and keep me in mind. My personal opinion of Pearl is that if his lips are moving he's up to something against the rules. I am also a firm believer in second chances. I don't know if Pearl or Auburn will cheat. Let me put it this way - the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. Get ready, these times they are a'changing. If Anthony Grant thought he was under some pressure before he has no idea of what is about to come. If Auburn beats Alabama in basketball next season it will take on the importance of losing the Iron Bowl. As long as Auburn kept Barbee I wasn't worried about the Tigers. Now, I'm not so sure. The problems that the Tigers have in sustaining a basketball program haven't gone away. Those problems still exist but has the Tigers found a man who can solve those problems? If they can be solved,  then Alabama is going to have to up the ante, and do so quickly. My feeling is that had Bill Battles known that Pearl was going to Auburn I wonder if he would have stuck with Grant? The official word would be that it made no difference. I think that Pearl can make a real difference. Whether or not he can turn the series around remains to be seen. I'll say this - Grant better start recruiting great players. Pearl will regardless of the how.

        The end of the most horrible season in recent memory on the hardwood has now given way to doubling down on concern. Pearl has done very well everywhere he has been as a coach. Grant hasn't. That hasn't is the University of Alabama. For the first time in my memory I'm concerned about being on the short end of the coaching box. Will Alabama survive? Yes, will they thrive given the new circumstances? I wasn't sure when Battle kept Grant before Pearl was hired.  What do you believe I'm thinking right now?  And everyone who disagrees with the potential problems it may cause us just  is ignoring the  truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment